•April 22, 2014 • Leave a Comment
Opening Ceremony of Reject and Protect
This morning, led by 24 riders on horseback, the Cowboy Indian Alliance officially opened the Reject and Protect tipi camp on the National Mall. Surrounded by tribal flags, flags flying the family brands of Nebraska ranchers, (and dozens of reporters from media sources of every kind) they rode onto the National Mall to protest the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline passing through their land.
•April 21, 2014 • Leave a Comment
Pass-It-On Awards Program
The Anita Borg Systers Pass-It-On (PIO) Awards honor Anita Borg’s desire to create a network of women technologists helping one another. The cash awards, funded by donations from the Systers Online Community and others, are intended as means for women established in technological fields to support women seeking their place in the fields of technology. The program is called “Pass-It-On” because it comes with the moral obligation to “pass on” the benefits gained from the award.
Pass-it-on Award applications are open to any woman over 18 years old in or aspiring to be in the fields of computing. Awards are open to women in all countries and range from $500.00 to $1000.00 USD. Applications covering a wide variety of needs and projects are encouraged, such as:
- Small amount to help with studies, job transfers or other transitions in life.
- A broader project that benefits girls and women.
- Projects that seek to inspire more girls and women to go into the computing field.
- Assistance with educational fees and materials.
- Partial funding source for larger scholarship.
- Mentoring and other supportive groups for women in technology or computing.